They don’t have to be expensive, elaborate, or time-consuming. You can even recycle what you already have. Just take a look around the house before heading for the shops. The best part is that you can use these same ideas for any occasion not just Valentine’s Day. Here are five craft ideas to get you started.
1. Pussy Willow Twig Heart
For a nature lover, create a pussy willow heart using a heart-shaped twig wreath and a few branches of pussy willows. Cut the pussy willows into small 8 to 10 inch pieces and tuck each one into the wreath. Add a pretty ribbon and hang on a door or wall or in front of a mirror using transparent thread.
2, Homemade Valentine Party Crackers
Party crackers aren’t just for Christmas. These favours can be used year round if you make your own! To create personalized Valentine’s Day crackers, fill empty cardboard paper towel rolls with Valentine trinkets and sweet goodies, a love note or two, and wrap with pink or red tissue paper. Tie up with pretty ribbons at each end. Pile a bunch into a basket or bowl.
3, Candy Cane Hearts
If you have any leftover candy canes from Christmas, you can create lovely candy cane hearts for your sweetie and scatter them around where your Valentine is sure to find them.
4. Valentine Candy Box Clock
Leave a timely impression with your sweetie by making a clock for him or her using a Valentine’s Day candy box. You’re sure to be on your Valentine’s mind every minute all the year round, not just on that one day.
5. Plastic Lemon Surprise
If your Valentine has a sense of humour, here’s a great way to recycle those empty plastic lemon concentrate containers. You can stuff these with lots of love messages and then mail to your honey. To make, you will need the lemon container, some plastic thread (fishing line works!), a sturdy paper label, and, of course, your messages.
- Remove the squirt insert from inside the lemon and discard.
- Next punch a hole near the top of the lemon. You need this for the address label.
- Address your label and place stamps on the other side and then punch a hole in the label through which you will slip the plastic thread.
- Insert the two ends of thread through the hole you made in the lemon and then out through the address label.
- Make a big knot in the thread, tight enough so that it won’t come apart.
- Write your love messages on ½ to ¼ inch strips of paper and insert carefully into the lemon. It takes a bit of patience.
- Replace the green top.
- Take to the post office for delivery.
These are only a few of many great Valentine ideas that can be used for any occasion.